Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wassup With Your Avatar?
[Image: The-Moment-Fox-vs-Marmot.jpg]

Just an idea to add a thread where folks could describe and explain their avatar if they would like.

My avatar is cropped from the above photo titled, "The Moment". It was the Wildlife Photo of the Year in 2019, article below. Poor guy only lived for a few more moments!

As a college student, I worked part time at the school's outdoor program guiding hiking, canoeing, whitewater rafting and cross country skiing trips. I used to love watching the marmots scurry about and sunning themselves on the granite rocks in the Beartooth Mountains outside of Red Lodge, Montana. I've been using this cropped image as my background on my phone.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...180973378/
Bryan, FNG-SE
The following 4 users Like Old Sarge's post:
  • AndyD, Dave in KY, GAW9576, srqshaver
Like Reply
Mine's a duck.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 4 users Like TobyC's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, Old Sarge, srqshaver
Like Reply
(11-09-2021, 01:57 PM)TobyC Wrote: Mine's a duck.

With a bowtie! Thumbsup

And for the time being, as you've been having an avatar party lately!  Big Grin
Bryan, FNG-SE
The following 2 users Like Old Sarge's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576
Like Reply
Mine is a lookout on Monte Sano Mountain. I live at the foot of the mountain 3 miles .
The following 4 users Like Twelvefret's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, Old Sarge, srqshaver
Like Reply
Mine changes in November, it's normally something to do with my grandfather's regiment from WW1. 
The DLI. (Durham Light Infantry)
[Image: FB-IMG-1446529464928.jpg]

He went over the top a few times, fought on the Somme and the Ypres salient including Passchendaele and Hill 60.
A Military Medal winner Gazetted in 1916 for action during the Battle of Morval.
A true hero of mine who made it back. His service medical record show he was evacuated on the hospital ship Asturius in Sept 1916  - Gun shot wound to the head. He was 41 years old.
His medal card shows he was also a pioneer in the Labour corp. We think he went back over with the pioneers once healed.
Sadly he died just before I was born.
The Clan of Catchers - The Jayaruh Brushes - Williams Mug Shave Soap Club

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo
The following 6 users Like Tony'schin's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, MaineYooper, Old Sarge, srqshaver, Wchnu
Like Reply
(11-09-2021, 04:50 PM)Tony'schin Wrote: Mine changes in November, it's normally something to do with my grandfather's regiment from WW1. 
The DLI. 
He went over the top a few times, fought on the Somme and the Ypres salient including Passchendaele and Hill 60.
A Military Medal winner Gazetted in 1916 for action during the Battle of Morval.
A true hero of mine who made it back. His service medical record show he was evacuated on the hospital ship Asturius in Sept 1916  - Gun shot wound to the head. He was 41 years old.
His medal card shows he was also a pioneer in the Labour corp. We think he went back over with the pioneers once healed.
Sadly he died just before I was born.

That's an amazing military life your Grandfather experienced. I can't imagine the brutality that he witnessed.  I'm betting there are some pretty good non-military stories as well. Shame you did not get to meet him, but his genes live on in you. I was fixing to ask you about your avatar before starting this thread. It looked military heraldry, so I was wondering if you had served. My interest piqued further when you had a military looking whistle as your SotD photo. Is that his trench whistle?

My Grandfather served in WWII as a First Sergeant. I didn't hear any stories from him, but he was proud I was serving. After he passed, my Grandmother became secretary of the social group of still living Soldiers from his division. She used to share with me some of the stories from letters she received from those that served with him. I'll never forget one, where the gentlemen was saying they had gone a long time without resupply and when a box of razors showed up, "The good First Sergeant made sure every man got a razor and used it!" Kind of an appropriate story for this forum!
Bryan, FNG-SE
The following 3 users Like Old Sarge's post:
  • GAW9576, srqshaver, Tony'schin
Like Reply
Mine is a JR for Jayaruh.
Jim - The Cackalacky Kid "Finally, shaving is fun again..." 
The Jayaruh Brushes  - The Clan of Catchers
The following 4 users Like Jayaruh's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, Old Sarge, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(11-09-2021, 08:51 PM)Old Sarge Wrote: That's an amazing military life your Grandfather experienced. I can't imagine the brutality that he witnessed.
I'm betting there are some pretty good non-military stories as well. Shame you did not get to meet him, but his genes live on in you. I was fixing to ask you about your avatar before starting this thread. It looked military heraldry, so I was wondering if you had served. My interest piqued further when you had a military looking whistle as your SotD photo. Is that his trench whistle?

My Grandfather served in WWII as a First Sergeant. I didn't hear any stories from him, but he was proud I was serving. After he passed, my Grandmother became secretary of the social group of still living Soldiers from his division. She used to share with me some of the stories from letters she received from those that served with him. I'll never forget one, where the gentlemen was saying they had gone a long time without resupply and when a box of razors showed up, "The good First Sergeant made sure every man got a razor and used it!" Kind of an appropriate story for this forum!

Yes Bryan, It seems he was a real character, Born 1875, married 3 times, he had about 9 - 10 children, widower twice, my grandmother out lived him. He had my father when he was 57 and his last child at 66.
He was a lot older than my grandmother about 30 years, on his wedding certificate his birthday is wrong Wink and he took 10 years of the top.
During WW2 he went down to volunteer again, however, he was sussed out and told he was too old, apparently he was furious and ended up as a volunteer fireman / ARP  during bombing raids. The Lufftewaffe's bombs hit three different homes of his over the war years and all were really lucky to escape, one particular bomb landed really close and flattened the house they were dug out by neighbours, he said they "bore a grudge against him for the 1st one" My old man said he was as fit as a fiddle well into his 70's.

We traced his footsteps over a few years visiting the places he fought following the war diaries, very humbling and something i was really proud to do , my Father had always wanted to get there and we did it. The Belgian people were brilliant and when Pops told the stories that his father had told him you could have heard a pin drop. 

I did not serve and it is my biggest life's regret, Most of my friends did. There was not a lot of work when i left school, however, i was lucky to be offered a couple of apprenticeships and was the envy of a lot of my mates, they joined up to get either life experiences or trades.
This Whistle was made by the original makers to the old drawings, for the 100Yr anniversary. A few people had whistles of different sorts, then at 6am on 11/11/18 armistice day we went outside our houses and blew whistles, it was bloody eerie.

Thank you for yours and your families Service.
T
The Clan of Catchers - The Jayaruh Brushes - Williams Mug Shave Soap Club

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo
The following 4 users Like Tony'schin's post:
  • GAW9576, MaineYooper, Old Sarge, srqshaver
Like Reply
Mines a Chimp with glasses that I've used for literally years on motorcycle and shave forums because.................I liked it and I wear glasses  Big Grin

Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 4 users Like Dave in KY's post:
  • MaineYooper, Old Sarge, srqshaver, Tony'schin
Like Reply
This is my avatar. It was my first attempt at making my own blank. I used black linen, brass shavings and fiberglass resin. The resin soaked linen was randomly squished into a cylinder with the brass shavings peppered heavily throughout. The black linen turned dark blue in the resin. I also made a knife handle with the linen and fiberglass but that was in flat layers.
I would not use fiberglass resin again.

The following 5 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • MaineYooper, Old Sarge, srqshaver, Tony'schin, Wchnu
Like Reply