Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gem SS PFTE Blades - On Average, How Many Shaves?
(11-08-2021, 02:26 AM)Wchnu Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 01:12 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: I don't know how much difference it actually makes but I always flip the blade to the opposite side from what I used last time. So as with the Gem blades they say gem on one side of the spine and have some numbers on the opposite side. I do shaves 1,3,5,7 with Gem facing up and 2,4,6,8 with the numbers facing up. I read a long time ago that this was a good practice because when you shave the blade edge get slightly deformed. Flipping the blade every shave makes it bend back the opposite way and supposedly makes the blade last longer. Again I don't know how effective it really is but I seem to get a few more good shave per blade when I do it. I average 8 to 11 shaves per blade.

So your the one that started this blade flipping stuff this time. Blush Cool . As some might know I put this in the league of blooming soaps and bowl lathering. Just saying,  Useless.

The only way to correct a roll in the blade is to moce the blade edge in the opposite direction with a strop or a steel. Even if you flip the blade you are still pulling the blade in the same direction so any roll of the blade will get worse.

(11-08-2021, 02:22 PM)TobyC Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 02:26 AM)Wchnu Wrote: So your the one that started this blade flipping stuff this time. Blush Cool . As some might know I put this in the league of blooming soaps and bowl lathering. Just saying,  Useless.

The only way to correct a roll in the blade is to moce the blade edge in the opposite direction with a strop or a steel. Even if you flip the blade you are still pulling the blade in the same direction so any roll of the blade will get worse.

If you roll the edge of a coated blade you throw it away.

Like I said it's something that I read a long time ago and I'm not sure it really matters it just became a habit.
The following 3 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY, Old Sarge, TobyC
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 08:40 PM)GAW9576 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 02:26 AM)Wchnu Wrote: So your the one that started this blade flipping stuff this time. Blush Cool . As some might know I put this in the league of blooming soaps and bowl lathering. Just saying,  Useless.

(11-08-2021, 02:22 PM)TobyC Wrote: If you roll the edge of a coated blade you throw it away.

Like I said it's something that I read a long time ago and I'm not sure it really matters it just became a habit.

I state all the time that I am a creature of habit...carry on!!!!!
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576, Old Sarge
Like Reply
(11-15-2021, 03:07 AM)Wchnu Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 08:40 PM)GAW9576 Wrote: Like I said it's something that I read a long time ago and I'm not sure it really matters it just became a habit.

I state all the time that I am a creature of habit...carry on!!!!!

Actually I'm starting to just keep Gem up now. I like seeing GEM on the blade inside my Gem razor. Go figure.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY, Old Sarge
Like Reply
(11-15-2021, 10:03 PM)GAW9576 Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 03:07 AM)Wchnu Wrote: I state all the time that I am a creature of habit...carry on!!!!!

Actually I'm starting to just keep Gem up now. I like seeing GEM on the blade inside my Gem razor. Go figure.
That's what I do too  Thumbsup
Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 4 users Like Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576, Old Sarge, TobyC, Wchnu
Like Reply
(11-15-2021, 11:52 PM)Dave in KY Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 10:03 PM)GAW9576 Wrote: Actually I'm starting to just keep Gem up now. I like seeing GEM on the blade inside my Gem razor. Go figure.
That's what I do too  Thumbsup

I don't look at the words, I just make sure it's on the stops properly.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 1 user Likes TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
(11-16-2021, 12:42 AM)TobyC Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 11:52 PM)Dave in KY Wrote: That's what I do too  Thumbsup

I don't look at the words, I just make sure it's on the stops properly.

I heard/read it the first time you said that. You can scream it from the rooftops and it won't change what I do. He who yells loudest isn't always right  Tongue
Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 1 user Likes Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
(11-16-2021, 01:37 AM)Dave in KY Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 12:42 AM)TobyC Wrote: I don't look at the words, I just make sure it's on the stops properly.

I heard/read it the first time you said that. You can scream it from the rooftops and it won't change what I do. He who yells loudest isn't always right  Tongue

You're trying to give me grief, there's no yelling or screaming from me.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 2 users Like TobyC's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576
Like Reply
(11-16-2021, 03:11 AM)TobyC Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 01:37 AM)Dave in KY Wrote: I heard/read it the first time you said that. You can scream it from the rooftops and it won't change what I do. He who yells loudest isn't always right  Tongue

You're trying to give me grief, there's no yelling or screaming from me.

Not trying to give you grief at all. Funny how you can always say "I was just joking and you don't have a sense of humor" but when someone else does similar, you gripe your getting picked on. I did have a smile emoji with tongue out........Scream may have been a wrong choice of words. I wasn't saying you screamed. It was an analogy. Repetitive perhaps better. With all due respect Toby you give grief to others when you repeat what you've already stated in an effort to discount other peoples views that they are entitled to. If you have a differing view (which you are entitled to) state it and move on. You don't have to keep repeating it. I'm moving on here........
Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 3 users Like Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576, MaineYooper, Wchnu
Like Reply
(11-15-2021, 10:03 PM)GAW9576 Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 03:07 AM)Wchnu Wrote: I state all the time that I am a creature of habit...carry on!!!!!

I can see how that is a plus to guys like us!!!!!!
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576, Old Sarge
Like Reply