Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certain Brushes
Curious... Do you match a certain brush with a certain soap?  I have an Omega 620 that is feeling pretty good.  It has great backbone and works well with Modern Williams and other hard soaps.  I have a SOC brush that has seemed to have less backbone as it is very broken in.  My SOC doesn't seem to be doing as well as it once was on certain soaps.  I don't know, maybe I've had too much Turkey!  Wink
ツ Ephesians 2:8-9
The following 1 user Likes Bryan_D's post:
  • Tony'schin
Like Reply
I like a boar or horse for soaps and badger for softer soaps a creams. Badgers for cream. But.... most of my badgers will work on the Williams just fine.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • Bryan_D, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 11:28 PM)Wchnu Wrote: I like a boar or horse for soaps and badger for softer soaps a creams. Badgers for cream. But....  most of my badgers will work on the Williams just fine.

That is the way I seem to go. I have not had the pleasure of using a horse brush.  However, sometimes I just want to use my Williams with my badger brushes.
Like Reply
I usually just grab one off the shelf and go with it. All my boars are well broken in and lather well. My badgers run the scale from Semogues and Omegas to Simpsons Supers. My horses are well broken in also. I don't soak brushes or soaps before lathering, just dip and go. I have streamlined my techniques and habits over 50 some years of wet shaving making nearly all combinations and products very pleasant for me on the whole.
The following 2 users Like mlb 549's post:
  • Bryan_D, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 04:37 PM)mlb 549 Wrote: I usually just grab one off the shelf and go with it.  All my boars are well broken in and lather well.  My badgers run the scale from Semogues and Omegas to Simpsons Supers.  My horses are well broken in also.  I don't soak brushes or soaps before lathering, just dip and go.  I have streamlined my techniques and habits over 50 some years of wet shaving making nearly all combinations and products very pleasant for me on the whole.
That is my goal...to grab, dip and go!!  I still have a ways to go.  Even though I'm pushing 60, my wet shaving experience is only a year.  I have learned a lot and come to realize how much I enjoy the simplistic shaves.  When I started I fell right down the rabbit hole.  Brushes, razors, and soaps, etc. were a weekly purchase.  Then I started watching Mr. Fuzzy's Neighborhood, aka Shaving with Fuzzy, and found out just how great shaving really is.  I pif'ed or sold everything except for a Gillette Fatboy, which I rarely use. And started purchasing vintage SE razors.  My brushes are boar and badger.  I found out as well, how much I enjoy the smaller mm size.  What model number Omega Badger do you use?  I have Omega boars but no badger.
Like Reply
No specific pairing for me, what ever soap I feel like using with what ever brush I feel like using that day. I don’t see enough change in technique or results between any hair/bristle matched with any hard/soft soap or creams to worry about it, I guess.
When I see any brush starting to act out of sorts that’s my indication it’s time to clean the brush with a hot water and borax mix. With hard water each use is building up some level of residue which does have an impact, that I notice anyway. Especially so with some of the so called super-fatted, super soft artisan soaps all the cool kids like these days. The borax mix does a great job of knocking out the buildup of soap and oils and leaves brushes performing better than ever.
Andy
The following 2 users Like MrGuy's post:
  • Bryan_D, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 01:43 AM)MrGuy Wrote: No specific pairing for me, what ever soap I feel like using with what ever brush I feel like using that day. I don’t see enough change in technique or results between any hair/bristle matched with any hard/soft soap or creams to worry about it, I guess.
When I see any brush starting to act out of sorts that’s my indication it’s time to clean the brush with a hot water and borax mix. With hard water each use is building up some level of residue which does have an impact, that I notice anyway. Especially so with some of the so called super-fatted, super soft artisan soaps all the cool kids like these days. The borax mix does a great job of knocking out the buildup of soap and oils and leaves brushes performing better than ever.

I will give that a try.  I have extremely hard water.  I do use a softener but it is not an end-all to the hard water problem. Thanks, Andy!! I really appreciate the tip.
The following 2 users Like Bryan_D's post:
  • MrGuy, Tony'schin
Like Reply