Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally! Rain!
(10-11-2020, 05:47 AM)Wchnu Wrote: Flintstone crazy people are job security for guys like us eh?

Absolutely, my friend....absolutely!!!
The following 1 user Likes Flintstone's post:
  • GAW9576 (10-18-2020)
Like Reply
Well, finally we got some meaningful rain! Last I checked the rain gauge was showing close to 2" and that was over a period of almost 11 hours. Much of it is running off, but lots is also soaking in. The forecast is a few days of clear weather then another day of rain. Finally!

It means the match on the weekend will get rained out for me but the rain is more important.
The following 1 user Likes ShadowsDad's post:
  • GAW9576 (10-18-2020)
Like Reply
It began raining again late yesterday, rained thru the night, and again today. Just looking at the rain gauge from 15' away it looks like another 1 1/2". So the severe drought is over. I know of one families well that hasn't recovered yet , as of Thursday, but it's only a matter of time for the water to percolate through.

We still need more rain to get fully caught up and get ready for the desert conditions of winter, well a desert as far as the water in the aquafers go anyway. No liguid water gets into the ground when it's frozen up above.

Clearly we're in our rainy season. This happens every year. Why did I doubt it?
The following 1 user Likes ShadowsDad's post:
  • GAW9576 (10-18-2020)
Like Reply
I know what you mean. We've been dry here in MN. Which honestly was nice for a change. The river is lower than it's been in years had some great catfishing in August. We've had about a decade of above normal precip, so this summer of a little less than normal was nice. The fall has been great for the farmers. The crops got enough moisture to grow and then dry down in the field. To bad the prices are crap.

The part of the state that I live in got 1.5 inches a week ago and it settled the dust and soaked in nicely. Didn't slow down the harvest much.
The following 1 user Likes mrconklin's post:
  • GAW9576 (10-18-2020)
Like Reply
(10-18-2020, 02:05 AM)mrconklin Wrote: I know what you mean.  We've been dry here in MN.  Which honestly was nice for a change.  The river is lower than it's been in years had some great catfishing in August.  We've had about a decade of above normal precip, so this summer of a little less than normal was nice.  The fall has been great for the farmers.  The crops got enough moisture to grow and then dry down in the field.  To bad the prices are crap. 

The part of the state that I live in got 1.5 inches a week ago and it settled the dust and soaked in nicely.  Didn't slow down the harvest much.

What is being harvested?
Don’t molest the Williams. Fuzzy don’t Uber!
The following 1 user Likes Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576 (10-20-2020)
Like Reply
(10-18-2020, 02:05 AM)mrconklin Wrote: I know what you mean.  We've been dry here in MN.  Which honestly was nice for a change.  The river is lower than it's been in years had some great catfishing in August.  We've had about a decade of above normal precip, so this summer of a little less than normal was nice.  The fall has been great for the farmers.  The crops got enough moisture to grow and then dry down in the field.  To bad the prices are crap. 

The part of the state that I live in got 1.5 inches a week ago and it settled the dust and soaked in nicely.  Didn't slow down the harvest much.

MN is mostly corn and soybeans.   A little hay for those that raise cattle.  Not much small grain, except for a small portion of the state where they do grow some wheat.  .   Years ago there was more wheat, rye, oats and even flax grown.   The gamebird population was much better in those days.   Hungarian partridge used to be common 40 years ago and I don't think I've seen one in 20 and I drive a lot of back roads when I get the chance.
Like Reply