Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ER 1906
I found this on EBay and it is likely to take quite some time to arrive here.
Just thought I would post it here, while I'm waiting, so you guys could confirm (or otherwise) it is a 1906, I think it must be though I believe there are a few variations? Any information would be great.
I just love the "inventors & makers" I have never noticed that before

The following 3 users Like Grassy's post:
  • GAW9576, mlb 549, Tony'schin
Like Reply
Those old ER lather catchers rock. I will see if I can look it up. There is usually a time frame that runs for a few years where razors were similar. I call mine a 1907ish.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576, Grassy
Like Reply
I will leave the dating to Wchnu. I love the old lather catchers. Hope it arrives in A1 condition.
Jim - The Cackalacky Kid "Finally, shaving is fun again..." 
The Jayaruh Brushes  - The Clan of Catchers
The following 2 users Like Jayaruh's post:
  • GAW9576, Grassy
Like Reply
Just looked up your razor on Waits' Compendium, and found a few interesting tidbits that may help.  The first is that Waits' claims there were 6 different heads for the ER Lather Catcher ranging from 1904-1911....and while he shows a picture of your particular one -- the only one with the words "Inventors and Makers", he doesn't come out and say what year that phrase was used.   He does seem to say that a circa 1906 razor has Ever Ready (not hyphenated on trade mark) while Ever-Ready is hyphenated on blades.  I'm not the best at deciphering Mr. Waits' dating information, so perhaps someone will be able to help, either with another source or decrypting the Compendium.  Beautiful razor, sir (Grassy)....congrats!!!
The following 2 users Like Flintstone's post:
  • GAW9576, Grassy
Like Reply
(06-13-2020, 01:17 PM)Wchnu Wrote: Those old ER lather catchers rock. I will see if I can look it up. There is usually a time frame that runs for a few years where razors were similar. I call mine a 1907ish.
Thanks Fuzzy. If there are a few slight variations in a few years I think "ish" might be as close as it gets. Still it looks great anyway and will go well with the ER 1913ish

(06-14-2020, 02:34 AM)Jayaruh Wrote: I will leave the dating to Wchnu. I love the old lather catchers. Hope it arrives in A1 condition.
Thanks Jim, it looks like it would be tricky to date exactly.
I probably shouldn't have bought it with the way international postage is but it looked to good to miss, I hope it gets here ok.

(06-14-2020, 05:00 AM)Flintstone Wrote: Just looked up your razor on Waits' Compendium, and found a few interesting tidbits that may help.  The first is that Waits' claims there were 6 different heads for the ER Lather Catcher ranging from 1904-1911....and while he shows a picture of your particular one -- the only one with the words "Inventors and Makers", he doesn't come out and say what year that phrase was used.   He does seem to say that a circa 1906 razor has Ever Ready (not hyphenated on trade mark) while Ever-Ready is hyphenated on blades.  I'm not the best at deciphering Mr. Waits' dating information, so perhaps someone will be able to help, either with another source or decrypting the Compendium.  Beautiful razor, sir (Grassy)....congrats!!!
That's great, thanks for looking that up. I really should get the Waits, though not complete it always seems a great source of info. I didn't notice the missing hyphen.
I was thinking it can be 1906 at the earliest because of the "American Razor Co" dating it beyond that seems would be tricky but interesting to try. "Inventors & Makers" is great thing to be able to call yourself, a shame they didnt keep that on thier razors.
The following 4 users Like Grassy's post:
  • Flintstone, GAW9576, Jayaruh, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(06-14-2020, 05:00 AM)Flintstone Wrote: Just looked up your razor on Waits' Compendium, and found a few interesting tidbits that may help.  The first is that Waits' claims there were 6 different heads for the ER Lather Catcher ranging from 1904-1911....and while he shows a picture of your particular one -- the only one with the words "Inventors and Makers", he doesn't come out and say what year that phrase was used.   He does seem to say that a circa 1906 razor has Ever Ready (not hyphenated on trade mark) while Ever-Ready is hyphenated on blades.  I'm not the best at deciphering Mr. Waits' dating information, so perhaps someone will be able to help, either with another source or decrypting the Compendium.  Beautiful razor, sir (Grassy)....congrats!!!
This pretty much sums up what I found also.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 5 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • Flintstone, GAW9576, Grassy, Jayaruh, Tony'schin
Like Reply

The razor has arrived, earlier than expected all things considered.
It has cleaned up pretty well and is in pretty good condition. Except for one thing, the stops are pretty worn down. I don't know exactly how they started but they look very similar to the Gem Junior, a raised bump with a ridge at the back that the blade stops in. However a modern blade very easily rides over the stops, I tried a vintage blade with the thicker spine, slightly better but still no good so I tried a wedge and with more spring tension and steeper angle it will work. A bit disappointed given this should have been one of the first razors to take a flat blade, I guess they were just worn down with use, there's no lug to break off.
At least I can get a shave with it, it looks great and its a great old razor to have.

The following 3 users Like Grassy's post:
  • Droo78, GAW9576, Jayaruh
Like Reply
Nice. Hope you get a good shave with it.
Jim - The Cackalacky Kid "Finally, shaving is fun again..." 
The Jayaruh Brushes  - The Clan of Catchers
The following 2 users Like Jayaruh's post:
  • GAW9576, Grassy
Like Reply